Monday, March 14, 2016

Camping is coming!

Way back in January 2015, I blogged excitedly about the potential for period camping trips. After dabbling in the SCA in Ohio, I was ready to dive right into new and exciting costuming opportunities in Florida. Well, it's been over a year but I'm finally getting to go on my first period camping trip this weekend! Huzzah!

Can't wait to be more than just a Ren Faire girl!

And even more exciting, the hubby is on board for joining in on the fun which means I get to make menswear! Yay! :D I'm so excited to get back into costuming. I have so many lovely things that I don't get to wear very often plus you can never have too many new dresses.


One of the new things I'll have to take into consideration when costuming is that pretty much all of our events will be outdoors in summer type weather. Bring on the linen! While it's not very exciting, my first project for me will need to be more linen shifts. I do have some nice cotton ones but Florida summers are going to require linen.

 1160-1180, England

As for my man, I'm deep in the researching phase. He's not at all interested in Elizabethan (too frufru) so I'm digging way back and looking at 12th century menswear while he's starting at the other end and looking at armor. Hopefully, we can meet in the middle with a time period he likes both the armor and everyday clothing for.

Yumminess! (Portia and Brutus 1486-90)

Meanwhile for me, I'm dreaming of 1490s Italian loveliness! I still have my Borgia dress to finish plus I'd love a more working class version because it's so pretty!

4 comments:

  1. Also, don't forget period correct fans and sunhats. You will be thankful for them in the 95F plus 99.9% humidity!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how exciting! I cannot wait to read about your period camping adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds so wonderfully fun! I hope that you two have an awesome time!

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds so exciting! And super interesting! I can't wait to see what you make!

    xoxo
    -Janey

    ReplyDelete